The Eklutna Cemetery dates back to 1650. The Native cemetery is adjacent to the 19th century Church of St. Nicholas in Eklutna. Over 100 “Spirit Houses” occupy the cemetery in regular rows. Brightly colored, wooden with gabled–roofs and fronted with Greek crosses, these structures house the dead. The size of the house determines the social status of the individual buried there and clan affiliations re identified by the color and the styling of the crest. This cemetery is still in use.
Unknown Artist, Graveyard, Sculpture Above Grave, early 20th c. Graveyard is a sculptural installation in a public cemetery. Urban legend dictates that it is made for a family that was poisoned during dinner. In each chair the name of the family member that was seated in it, is written. On view at: Public Cemetery in Thessaly, Greece.