D-Day, june 6, 1944: Gen. Barton (center) is at the first command post of the 4th Infantry Division on Utah Beach. Barton is issuing orders for the deployment of the 746th Tank Battalion. Officer on the right is obviously the commander of that tank battalion, as he has either a Major or LT Colonel rank on his helmet, just below an Armored triangle insignia, which is probably that of the 746th. On the left is the Assistant Division Commander of the 4th Division, Brigadier General Teddy Roosevelt.
A 1st Infantry Division officer examines a German-manned French 75mm cannon overlooking Easy Red—typical of a variety of captured French weapons that the Germans pressed into service to defend the “West Wall” while freeing up their latest and most powerful weaponry for deployment against the Soviet army. Elements of the German 352nd Infantry Division were stretched across Omaha to face the Americans all along Omaha Beach, but their fortifications, stiffened in recent months by General Erwin ...