St. Michael's Church, The Cross, Eastgate St. St Michael the Archangel church was in existence in the 12th century. The old church, apart from the 15th century tower, was demolished in 1849 and a new church erected which incorporated the old tower. This church closed in 1940 when the parish combined with St. Mary de Crypt. In 1956 the church was demolished, leaving only the tower, and between 1985 and April 1998 it was used as a tourist information centre. It is currently (2000) disused.
The old fruit and vegetable market situated between the then Eastgate Street and Bell Lane, Gloucester. As a child enjoyed cockles here for 3d a small plate. The River Severn was well known as an area for eels and when in season elvers (baby eels) were a local delicacy. Also known as glass eels, elvers have become popular in both France and Japan but dwindling catches have resulted in them becoming an expensive treat.