1. The small Peruvian city of Huacachina was built around this beautiful oasis in the middle of the desert.
2. Copper Canyon is much bigger, and much greener, than the Grand Canyon in the US. The best way to see it is on the Ferrocarril Chihuahua al Pacífico, a train which travels 600 kilometres across northwestern Mexico.
8. Take in views of the Portuguese countryside in Monsaraz, an ancient village with whitewashed houses, cobbled streets, and a castle.
9. Spend an afternoon in the old town of Oviedo — the capital of Asturias, a principality in north-west Spain — and admire the mismatched houses that line a typical street.
11. Bathe in the crystal-clear water of the Ionian sea off the Greek island of Paxi.
17. The market square bordered by neat rows of colourful buildings in Poznań, Poland, offers visitors a perfect photo opportunity.
19. Journey to the edge of a cliff in the Faroe Islands to visit the remote village of Gásadalur and enjoy breathtaking views.
21. Go to Liechtenstein, an underrated, small country between Austria and Switzerland, and climb to the top of Vaduz Castle for dramatic Alpine views.
26. The surreal sandstone rock formation, called The Wave, may draw you to Arizona, but a difficult hike awaits those who want to reach it.
27. Tsitsikamma National Park in South Africa's Eastern Cape is relatively unknown to tourists. It is where Storms River meets the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans, and is a great spot for kayaking and scuba diving.